Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Field Trip to Fredrick, OK and Hackberry Flats...

Members of the Red River Photography Club photographing an old shed outside of Fredrick, OK.

This past Saturday I went with the Red River Photography Club to Hackberry Flats to photograph migrating birds. We left around 7:45 am and did not return until 5:30 that evening. Other than nearly getting lost, it was a great trip. I can't wait for the next field trip
Here are some of the captures.

Thanks.

-Ben


A pair of Red Wing Blackbirds.



Lesser Yellow Legs searching the ravine for food.



Incoming Swainson's Hawk!

He banked into some better light and I was able to capture him flying in front of us.

A Vesper Sparrow flies into the grass right in front of us. *Thanks to the Hackberry Flats Information Center staff for help on the identification*



The very cooperative Vesper Sparrow decides to hang around longer and pose for us.


After this photo this little sparrow decided we had photographed him enough.


Great Blue Heron.


After the Hackberry Flats trip we went into Fredrick, OK for lunch and on our way back we stopped at a few old houses to photograph them.


#1: Rusty blades from a field plow resting in the front yard of an abandoned home.




#2: An old barn sitting in an empty field


Close up of the shed's rust. Nice texture.

This is looking through a hole in the wall. The light hit this just right to create these great shadows.

A wider shot of the shed and a small weed that popped out of the field.


#3: Another old structure. This was a barn at the Primitive Camping area in the Hackberry Flats Wildlife Management Area.



I love the colors of the rust on these nails.

This shot actually looks a little spooky

This nail has a lot of texture and the curves of the nail is what inspired me to take this shot.

#4: This was outside of US 70. Even though the sign says "No Trespassing" it didn't stop the Red River Photography Club.


After the old barn/houses shoot we drove back home, but there was one other place we had to stop.




What? Camels in Western North, TX? Yep, there is a small group outside on US 287 S. And of course we had to stop and take some photos.

A member of the RRPC gets a nice close up of a very friendly camel.

One of the camels came very close to me and I captured this with my 17-50mm lens.

Now that is a sneer!


All in all an excellent field trip. Next month we are planning to make a trip to the Wichita Mountains.

3 comments:

  1. Love the hawk photo - such strong detailing. Oh, and the little weed in front of the shed turned out awesome...I had been wondering how you were framing the shot. Heh heh....and glad we didn't get spit on either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You captured a classic comical look on that camel. Great barn photos, too!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am 25 years old and I have been a photographer for 11 years now. I love nothing more than taking my camera out on a photo shoot with me. I mainly focus on nature photography.That is where my passion is. I love looking at all of God's wonderful creations and capturing them in the photographic medium. I have won awards and have received special recognition for my photography. It is my calling and my passion!