Saturday, March 20, 2010

03/19/10, OK: The First REAL Chase of 2010!...

The SPC Severe weather outlook. A "See Text" usually means a less than 5% probability of severe weather.


A strong storm system was going to make its way through our forecast area and bring with it a chance for thunderstorms. The NWS was calling for a winter storm to move through the next day. A potent cold front was the trigger for thunderstorm development. The SPC (Storm Prediction Center) was not saying much as far as a severe weather episode, but despite MUCAPE values of 500 J/kg, and weak moisture return 50 DPs. There was still an isolated supercell or two. I left work around 6:00pm and headed for Waurika, OK where some cumulus towers were beginning to build. Its a good thing I went because I intercepted a photogenic supercell just outside of Comanche, OK. The velocity scans only showed a broad area of rotation, however I was able to photograph a nice mesocyclone and rotating wall cloud. I saw a few funnels while driving and unfortunately was unable to photograph them.


Thanks for the support!

-Ben





Radar at 6:15pm leaving Wichita Falls and heading north towards Waurika. You can already see some cells popping up on the Red River. The northern cell is the one I end up chasing.


On my way to the target area, you can see the storm start to develop to my NW.


I lost my GPS signal so I drew in my approximate location (yellow circle). On radar the storm doesn't look to impressive.




The storm starts to look a little better on radar and I can see a decent base now.




A base! This storm was starting to look better after all.




Still a little far off, but its nice to see some noticeable structure. You can see the main updraft base over the tree and a beaver tail-like inflow band coming in from the right.





Hmm...Is that a lowering in the base? Scud? Lets take a closer look.





Yep, that is definitely a lowering with rising motion.




A quick radar scan. Does that storm look like its trying to hook? I do believe so.


Velocity scans show an area of weak broad rotation.


I don't think this qualifies as a wall cloud, but it is very close. Starting to see a little structure now.


This storm is trying to do something, but it just can't seem to get it together.


I had to find a spot to pull over to photograph this. There is the main base/mesocyclone around the center of the frame.

The old mesocyclone occludes and is cut off from the unstable air. And a new one forms (lower left).



Structure! The new meso starts to rotate rapidly. Now a rotating wall cloud is visible.



Beautiful! Great structure and wall cloud. The light is fading pretty quickly and I don't have much time left.



This storm starts to occlude (again) and the wall cloud tightens up and forms a very convincing funnel. Which I am unable to capture because I was driving.



Cold front catches up and all the storms start to form into a line.



This is the last of the structure. Mesocyclone and beaver tail. After I take this photo the storm turns into a squall line.



Not to shabby for my first chase of 2010. Special thanks to Jason Brock for nowcasting.


1 comment:

  1. I really like the last photo; it looks as though the storm lines are melding into each other. And the third photo from the end is very cool because one can see the rotation. Thanks for showing the radar images along with your photos. It really makes everything come together so nicely :)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am 25 years old and I have been a photographer for 11 years now. I love nothing more than taking my camera out on a photo shoot with me. I mainly focus on nature photography.That is where my passion is. I love looking at all of God's wonderful creations and capturing them in the photographic medium. I have won awards and have received special recognition for my photography. It is my calling and my passion!