Friday, March 12, 2010

03/08/10 Local Chase...

A severe thunderstorm bows out as it reaches Wichita Co.


With the official start of the chase season just around the corner, I am getting a little anxious and impatient. But luckily I was able to get my storm chasing fix. A strong storm system took shape over AZ and brought storms/precipitation to OK and Northern, TX. We had great wind/shear profiles and decent moisture return, but we lacked instability. Clouds covered the sky through most of the morning. The models were only forecasting CAPE values of 500-750 J/kg. However, a small narrow strip of sunshine raised the surface instability value up to 1200 J/kg. Now that is more like it! A line of storms began to form along this axis, stretching from Vernon, TX down to Abeline, TX. These storms moved into our area and the moment I got off for lunch I went out to chase. I ended up chasing a bow structure from Wichita Falls to Henrietta. I would have kept on going, but I had to return to work. It was nice to be out chasing again. I can't wait for this season! (Looks like I need another fix!)


Thanks.


-Ben

The SPC day 1 Thunderstorm Outlook. "SLGT" indicates a slight risk of severe thunderstorms.


Mesoscale Discussion issued for our area. *Note the instability axis in the west*

Storms begin to form and start to move to the NE at 45mph.


Bow echo moving towards Metro Photo (My GPS signal is the dot)



The chase is on! Looking outside of Metro Photo this is the view of the gustfront. Look at that nice dark core in the background.


Ominous Enough for you? Right after this photo I got soaked in sheets of heavy rain. This storm is moving so fast that I can only chase the tail end of the gustfront.

,

I catch up on my way to Henrietta and get caught in the core again. This time it dropped heavier rain and a few stones of pea sized hail. The winds were also pretty strong with a max gust of 48mph.

Unfortunately, I had return back to work but before I walked in I was greeted with this scene of mammatus clouds.



If only I had the day off. Later on that day a low topped supercell formed over Western OK and dropped and EF-2 tornado in Hammon, OK. Looking forward to the new season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am 25 years old and I have been a photographer for 11 years now. I love nothing more than taking my camera out on a photo shoot with me. I mainly focus on nature photography.That is where my passion is. I love looking at all of God's wonderful creations and capturing them in the photographic medium. I have won awards and have received special recognition for my photography. It is my calling and my passion!