Saturday, October 2, 2010

Nothing Like Fall Weather...

Fall weather--70 degree temperatures, clear skies. and a gentle breeze, who doesn't love Autumn in Texas? Last week we received some very pleasant weather. It was so enjoyable, that I woke up before sunrise (something that rarely happens now) and drove down to Goron Lake in Iowa Park. I hadn't visited the lake in a while and was curious to see what was new. Gordon Lake has always been a favorite location of mine. It never disappoints. Hopefully we will have more fall weather heading our way next week.


Thanks for the support.
-Ben


 Tranquil scenes like these are why I keep coming back to Gordon Lake.



 I almost always prefer some clouds in sunrise/sunset shots, but there are times when I will shoot a "plain" sunrise. They are prefect for back lit shots like this one.

 After the sun reached a certain height it was time to focus on some of the wildlife.

A pair of Grackles perched in the cattails.

 There is a residential Great Blue Heron that hangs around the lake. I was fortunate to get close shots of this bird. I just wish the light was at a different angle.

The Snowy Egret is also seen during the summer months. This one was a little too preoccupied with catching breakfast, it didn't really mind me being so close to it.

 Semipalmated Sandpipers are always fun to shoot. They're very fast and almost never sit still. They are also hard to approach, usually you have to wait for them to come to you. I was lying on my stomach for almost 20 minutes before a group of them landed not more than 10 feet from me.

 A pair of foraging sandpipers.

I think this is my personal favorite of the day. I love the graduation of color from the orange to the blue in the shot. The pose and angle of the bird helps male this a more intimate portrait.

6 comments:

  1. Asomw pictures Ben!
    I just found your blog, linked from your comment on Bill Doms blog.
    I am a bigginer in photography and just started my own blogspot for my pics.
    What kind of lens are you using to get such close and clear shots of those birds?
    where do you get the borders for your pics, they are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Elisabeth, Jessica, and Michael for the kind comments.

    Michael, I normally use a Sigma 500mm f/4.5 lens, but it is needing some repair. So now I am using a Sigma 400mm f/5.6 which is okay. The borders is something I added in PS with nothing more than the canvas tool. Shoot me an email if you want a tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ben! If it is in PS, I will look and see if i can figure it out, if not i will let you know!
    look forward to seeing more of your pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic photos ... great detail in the little sandpipers!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am 25 years old and I have been a photographer for 11 years now. I love nothing more than taking my camera out on a photo shoot with me. I mainly focus on nature photography.That is where my passion is. I love looking at all of God's wonderful creations and capturing them in the photographic medium. I have won awards and have received special recognition for my photography. It is my calling and my passion!