Saturday, May 8, 2010

Texas Wildflowers, Elevated Thunderstorms, and Potential Chase Day...

I have been really busy this past week and haven't had much time to update the blog. Now I that I have some free time I thought I would let y'all see some of my recent work. Last Sunday I went with Tara to photograph some of the local Texas wildflowers. It was a beautiful clear sky with a pleasant breeze from the south. Unfortunately this isn't the best conditions for shooting macro. Despite these inconveniences I think we still managed to get some nice captures. I returned to a few spots today when the conditions were a little more favorable (overcast sky with less wind). However, my shoot was cut short when an isolated shower rolled through. I of course immediately changed my focus to shooting this developing thunderstorm which dissipated shortly after sunset. All in all not a bad day for shooting.

I would also like to note that we have a potential chase day coming up very soon. Monday looks like a very nice setup. Instability, shear, and moisture all look good. Haven't quite narrowed down a target yet, but I may not be able to chase on Monday because of work. Anyways, according to the NWS this system is the mark of the change in the upper level pattern--a change that should have happened over a month ago!

I hope you enjoy the photos.

Thanks.

-Ben



A small cluster of Fleabane shot against a patch of bluebonnets from last Sunday.

Bluebonnets


Have you ever seen a pinkbonnet? Apparently they are rare.

Backlit Goldenrod


At the Highland Cemetery in Iowa Park

White Primrose in the nice overcast light.

There are dozens of these Pink Primrose patches all across Iowa Park.


Its about this point where I get rained out. I drive down to middle lake to watch this elevated storm come through.
Isolated thunderstorm off in Electra, TX.

The movement of this storm was NE. I was in the perfect place for some lightning photography. This storm just didn't want to produce any lightning *sigh*.




I loved this tree! It was textured, interesting, and it made a great curvature leading out to the storm.

That was all for that day. Maybe I will have more interesting storm photos to post later this week.
05/10/10:



NWS graphicast and SPC Day 2 Convective outlooks.
Monday should be interesting. A small, but strong upper level storm system will move through the southern plains Monday afternoon. A warm front will lift north through OK into KS and a dryline will become established from western KS to western TX. These boundaries (as well as any outflow boundaries that may form from early convection Monday morning) will be the focus for thunderstorm development. Moisture is going to be sufficient with forecast DP's in the upper 60's. Shear is very strong and will support supercell thunderstorms. The only thing that could be a problem in the CINH. A strong cap is going to be over much of the area. This will limit thunderstorm development. However I believe that convergence along the dryline, CAPE values reaching 3000 J/kg, and the forcing of the trough should overcome the cap. Any storms that do form will likely be severe. There is also another chance for severe weather on Wednesday.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know how you do it, but you make even green algae look great! You made very good use of the sky's clouds and brought out subtle color all the elements. Your fleabane (learned something new!) and primroses were awesome as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous images! Looking forward to your images from this week's storms.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am 25 years old and I have been a photographer for 11 years now. I love nothing more than taking my camera out on a photo shoot with me. I mainly focus on nature photography.That is where my passion is. I love looking at all of God's wonderful creations and capturing them in the photographic medium. I have won awards and have received special recognition for my photography. It is my calling and my passion!