Tuesday, May 11, 2010

05/10/10 Chase...

SPC Day 1 Convective Outlook
SPC Probabilistic tornado graphic

SPC Probabilistic hail graphic

SPC Probabilistic wind graphic

NWS Hazardous Weather Outlook
May 10, 2010:
There was a "High Risk" for severe weather on Monday. The SPC was warning everyone of a tornado outbreak. While most chasers went after the triple point in KS. I stayed back and waited for the dryline to advance. My target area was Waurika, OK. 70 degrees sfc dewpoints and strong daytime heating created an extremely unstable situation for southern OK and western north TX.

RUC Model showing a serious amount of instability over southern and central OK.


SPC Supercell Composite


SPC Significant Tornado Composite
Sadly there were 5 fatalities during this event. My deepest condolences to the families who have suffered. For more information about this outbreak see this link.
Here is the chase report.
Thanks for the support.
-Ben
Mesoscale discussion issued for my target area.



Tornado watch issued for OK.


First signs of instability! Towers trying to get together.

Several of these towers struggled and got blown apart from the strong winds aloft.

This cell started to get together and begins to explode.


Quick radar scan. The cell is starting to look better on the radar.


Here we go! This cell starts to anvil out. These storms were moving over 50kts!




Another radar scan, looks like the storm is trying to split.

I am located too far north to get into position. This comes back to bite me later.

This is the end of the storm's anvil. Lots of air moving through this storm.

The cell starts to split and I decide to try to outrun it. Oops...

Heading south trying not to get caught in the core. Looks at the sharp edges of the anvil. This storm was going nuts!


I pulled over to take this shot (which in retrospect was kinda stupid). I start to head south, but its a little too late.



Uh oh! Looks like I gonna get caught in the core! I pull over in a store and wait for the core to pass.


At this point the storm starts to drop hail. They ranged from pea to golf ball sized. Its a good thing I stopped where I did. During this time there were reports of tennis ball sized hail a few miles south!


Here's a pretty good sized hail stone about 1.5" in diameter.

Updraft and flanking line passes over my location.

Remnants of the wall cloud from this storm. There were reports of a waterspout tornado over Lake Waurika.

I try to catch this cell, but the one to the south looks pretty good too.


While driving I saw a very convincing scud (lower left) cloud that actually rotated like a little vortex. Hmm...

Structure from the southern cell. I can not chase this storm. It starts to move over 55mph! Its too fast to chase.

I decide to turn back and head home. I got a few decent shots and got hailed on. So it wasn't all bad. On my way back I see a cell pop up just ahead of the dryline. Maybe an opportunity for some lightning photography?


This storm is obviously weakening, but it still had some aesthetic qualities that made it a good subject.


Another capture, but with a windmill just outside of Henrietta, TX.


Towers start to build ahead of the dryline.


This storm eventually blows itself out and I decide that is all. Or, so I thought...


Another cell building and this one looks better.


I had to stop and take some photos of these towers forming near the dryline.







One of the towers blows up into a severe thunderstorm that takes on the same speed and direction as the other storms. Not chase worthy.


My cell starts to build and I stop to take these photos.



Afterwards, I decide that it is time to head back home. All in all not too bad of a chase. Just wish the storms weren't moving so fast!

2 comments:

  1. Impressive documentation of an afternoon chasing a storm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben, would it be alright if I copy/paste your bio from here to publish in the next issue of the WFLAR? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am 25 years old and I have been a photographer for 11 years now. I love nothing more than taking my camera out on a photo shoot with me. I mainly focus on nature photography.That is where my passion is. I love looking at all of God's wonderful creations and capturing them in the photographic medium. I have won awards and have received special recognition for my photography. It is my calling and my passion!