Saturday, February 7, 2009

A Black Crowned Night Heron, A Tripod, and a Long Exposure...

This guy was sitting on the side of the lake when I drove up and saw him. At an ISO of 800 my camera was reading it at 1/50th, too slow hand held. So I got out my gimball head and tried an exposure. It looked ok, a little flat, but a good record/identification shot nonetheless. I was able to get closer and the bird did not move. Now I had him filled in the frame just the way I wanted and I was able to do something more artistic. So I punched in a +1.0 ev and closed down my lens to f/11. The shot was good, but the birds eyes were dark. So i went back to the car got my flash and took another exposure, this was the result.

3 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! I found your blog while surfing the net. Best wishes in your photography future!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Julie, It is nice to meet you. Please check back in on Monday. I should have some storm photos to post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ben,
    Cool photography. It almost looks like a painting. I think birds make facinating subjects to photograph.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am 25 years old and I have been a photographer for 11 years now. I love nothing more than taking my camera out on a photo shoot with me. I mainly focus on nature photography.That is where my passion is. I love looking at all of God's wonderful creations and capturing them in the photographic medium. I have won awards and have received special recognition for my photography. It is my calling and my passion!