Thursday, February 17, 2011

Shoot the Moon...

It has been quite a while since I have posted anything new. I have been very busy lately with the new Metro Photo and haven't really had much time to go out shooting. The good news is the storm season is a little less then a month away. The weather here has been excellent for the past few days and while I was home last night I couldn't help but be outside. I love it when the seasons begin to transform. It was a beautiful clear evening with temps around 70 degrees and a nice breeze from the south. I had to get out and take advantage of this spectacular weather. I ran back into the apartment and grabbed my gear and as I headed down the steps I looked over to the east and saw the moon rising over the horizon. I had taken many moon pictures before, but this time I wanted to do something different and break away from the monotony. Here are some of the captures.

Enjoy.

-Ben


 A technically correct moon exposure. Since the moon reflects most of the sun's light the exposure would be close to that of sunny sky. In this case we use the "Sunny 16" rule. The rule states that when photographing a clear blue sky use 1/film speed as the shutter speed. In this photo I used the "Sunny 16" rule which gave me an exposure of 1/200, f/16, ISO:200 While this is a nice photo, I felt it didn't represent what I saw and desired to capture.
 


 Opened up the aperture by 2 stops and now we can see more of the foreground and background while retaining some detail in the moon. The sun was setting and the sky became a beautiful blue-purple color. This was a little better, but not quite what I wanted. The only solution was to slow down the shutter.


 ...And change the focus. Instead of looking at the moon as the subject I replaced it as the background and used the silhouettes of the tree branches for my foreground. I really liked the look of the photo and it was different, not something that I try to do when photographing the moon.


This was my personal favorite. This was the best photo that told the story of the evening.  Calm, cool, and peaceful.

3 comments:

  1. I love shooting the moon. I haven't had a chance to do so in a long time, however, since I no longer own a telephoto lens. I'm definitely looking forward to chase season this year, though my new job as a graphic designer will dictate what days I can chase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and helpful sequence. Thanks, Ben!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am 25 years old and I have been a photographer for 11 years now. I love nothing more than taking my camera out on a photo shoot with me. I mainly focus on nature photography.That is where my passion is. I love looking at all of God's wonderful creations and capturing them in the photographic medium. I have won awards and have received special recognition for my photography. It is my calling and my passion!