Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Cloud Formations Thanks to Hermine...

As I mentioned in my previous blog post, Tropical depression Hermine came through our forecast area. In fact the central area of circulation was over my home town, Wichita Falls, TX. Extensive cloud cover and precipitation limited instability. Therefore, the SPC was not too worried about severe weather. Low level shear profiles would support an isolated, weak tornado threat. This was enough to get me interested in a chase. I originally targeted Gainsesville, TX. I did get diverted to some developing storms near Jacksboro and Montague, TX. I should have stuck with my original target. Around 7:30pm a report came in of a brief tornado touchdown two miles north of Lindsay, TX! Oh well, that is how it goes sometimes. Though I didn't capture the tornado I still came back with some decent photos.

Hopefully we will have another chase before winter.

Thanks for viewing.

-Ben
Outside of Henrietta, TX on US 82 I saw this scene with the desolate barn, rolled up hay bales, and feeder bands from Hermine. I had to pull over to capture this image.
Sunlight! The sun briefly came out and thunderstorms started to form along the feeder bands.

We had an incredible amount of moisture. Our dewpoints reached a max of 76! The result was very low bases. In this picture you can see how close the ragged base is to the Texas prairie.


Towers start to form in the feeder bands.



I really liked this capture. Beautiful front light created a very contrasty sky. I only wish the power lines weren't there, Grrr...


Wider shot to reveal all the unique cloud formations.

3 comments:

  1. Great captures, Ben! I was wondering how y'all would fare with the center of the circulation passing directly over. The cloud formations were definitely crazy with this one. I got some sweet panos of it. I also managed to get on the supercell that produced the Dallas tornado yesterday evening, but was about 5-6 miles away and only had a 50mm to shoot with. Doh! Needless to say, the chase was a bust, photographically, but I did get to witness a tornado in Dallas. I just hate that it did damage, though thankfully, I don't believe anyone was hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ken. Yea, I ended up driving through the main circulation when it was over Wichita Falls. We didn't have very gusty winds (40mph), but visibilities did drop below 2 miles. Congrats on the tornado capture.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am 25 years old and I have been a photographer for 11 years now. I love nothing more than taking my camera out on a photo shoot with me. I mainly focus on nature photography.That is where my passion is. I love looking at all of God's wonderful creations and capturing them in the photographic medium. I have won awards and have received special recognition for my photography. It is my calling and my passion!