Monday, June 21, 2010

RRPC Field Trip: Medicine Mound Community...

Sunday, I went with the Red River Photography Club on a field trip to the Medicine Mound Community in Hardeman county. In 1854 area land was deeded to a railroad company, settlers arrived in the 1870'. The town did later relocate 2.5 miles north in 1908 when the Kansas City, Mexico, and Orient railway was built. Medicine Mound was fully established in 1911. At its peak the town had 22 businesses and a population of 500. Unfortunately, the Great Depression and a devastating fire in 1933 contributed to the demise of Medicine Mound. The fire destroyed almost all of the town site and the last business closed in 1966. Medicine Mound is now a museum and a historic Texas landmark.

I hope you enjoy.

-Ben




The Medicine Mound gas station.




This building was a photographer's treat!

Gas pump

Closer up to reveal some of the parts.

The historical "Hicks and Cobb General Merchandise Store". Originally opened in 1927. The 1933 fire destroyed the store and they rebuilt using granite cobble stones from Oklahoma.

This sign marks the location of the Medicine Mound Drug Store. All that is left is a slab of concrete.

Blue Mailbox...

This really was an incredible place. I love the vibrant blue mailbox up against the red of the cobblestone.

Buildings aren't the only thing to shoot around here. An abundance of these colorful grasshoppers live around this area.

I was fortunate to get a cooperative subject. Just wish I had a macro lens.

Ghosts?! In the Medicine Mound ghost town?! Nope. Just me playing with long exposure.

Can you see the "ghost" in this image? Look in the window and then towards the far right side of the photo.

More long exposure...

I had to do some long exposure with this.


Not sure what this structure was, but I did like how it aligned with the cacti in the foreground.

Sunset over the Medicine Mounds. The Medicine Mounds were settled by Kiowa and Comanche Indians. Legend has it they have magical healing powers.

What a wonderful place! I am already planning another trip, now I have just got to remember how to get back there!

1 comment:

  1. A playful commentary of a wonderful place! The "ghost" pictures seem effectively spooky. You have a great eye, too, with your angles. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am 25 years old and I have been a photographer for 11 years now. I love nothing more than taking my camera out on a photo shoot with me. I mainly focus on nature photography.That is where my passion is. I love looking at all of God's wonderful creations and capturing them in the photographic medium. I have won awards and have received special recognition for my photography. It is my calling and my passion!